Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A close call...

"I will call unto the LORD" - 1 Samuel 12:17 KJV


My office phone rang on today, and I answered. To my surprise, the voice on the other end was that of my childhood friend, actor Kevin Carroll. Throughout the years, he and I were very close, but at some point, we seemed to have lost communication with one-another. The fact that he is now a Hollywood actor, and being in the media-spotlight myself, probably had something to do with the breakdown of our communication in the last few years. I was so glad to hear from him!


Anyway, based upon his phone call, I was thinking about just how awesome the gift of communication is. As a rector/author, I sometimes take for granted the glorious opportunity that God has given me, and that is to preach and teach the wonderful message of his gospel to his precious people. When this message is communicated, lives are changed and transformed for God's honor and glory. This gift of communication is so powerful that it has transformed my life!


Verbal communication is not just conversing. It is also rehearsing what we do, as a result of what we say. There is an old saying that goes like this: “Mind what you say or you might say what comes to mind.”


The greatest act of communication was performed when God sent His only son into the world to die. The Holy Spirit, through the Prophet Isaiah, communicated this message.


“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” – Isaiah 53:5


This was, no doubt, a divine communication. This particular event, which was the birth and death of Jesus Christ, came to pass as a result of prophetic utterance.


As powerful as this message is, it would have had no significance if Christ would have never died. Because he did die and rise from the dead, we can commune with him. As the Prophet Samuel said, "I will call unto the LORD." (1 Samuel 12:17)


“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:13


God is a very present help in trouble (Psalms 46:1), and a friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).


Since the Lord’s presence is everywhere, then this truly is “a close call!”



No comments: